[PRL] AI Koans

Richard C. Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 30 14:12:01 EDT 2003

Lo, on Wednesday, April 30, Johan Ovlinger did write:

> It would actually make a really fun pl-seminar: reviving the lisp
> machine...  literally.

I'll second the motion.

I've heard a number of people with many years of experience rave about
how wonderful the old Lisp machines were, and how much better they were
than these silly little OSes we have to use today, and so forth.  I have
to admit, I tend to react to these folks in the same way that I react to
stories about walking 10 miles to school through the snow uphill both
ways, but it would be interesting to actually sit down at a Lisp machine
and see what it was like, if for no other reason than to see what all
the shouting's about.

(If all else fails, I believe Shriram still has that old lisp machine in
his office at Brown, though I make no claims as to its condition, the
availability of its system software, Shriram's willingness to loan it to
us, or the feasibility of getting it up here.)

Richard