[PL-sem-jr] PL Seminar, Jr: Fall 2008

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Sep 16 11:01:40 EDT 2008

It's time to set the schedule for PL Seminar Jr, Fall 2008 edition!

I propose meeting this Thursday, 9/18, at 4pm (after tea & cookies).
Please let me know ASAP if this time will not work for you.

For those of you who are new to this: Mitch has run the "grownup" PL
Seminar for many years, but while that seminar is very valuable, it is
also somewhat intimidating, especially for newer students.  So we in
the PRL have been running a student-only version of the seminar, PL
Jr, with a similar format but a friendlier atmosphere.  These talks
are not usually about our own research, but rather about papers (new
and old) we wanted to learn more about.  More information about the
seminar can be found at its web page,

    http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/turon/pljr.html

This week, let's get everyone together to pick a time for the seminar
and set up the schedule of talks for the semester.  *Please* come to
the meeting prepared with (1) an area/paper or two that you'd like to
study carefully and present this semester, and (2) some preferences or
additional topic ideas in case some people fail to fulfill #1  :-)

As usual, there are plenty of resources for finding topics, e.g. the wiki

    https://wiki.ccs.neu.edu/display/GRADWIKI/PlSeminarJr

or Harry Mairson's syllabus from last year (suggested by David van Horn)

    http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~mairson/Courses/cs190/cs190.pdf

While classic papers are always great, an interesting angle might be
to bring a few recent POPL/ICFP/... proceedings to the meeting and
divvy up talks on recent papers, in an effort to collectively gain a
better sense for what is going on in the field right now.  Another
idea we might want to discuss: those who attend conferences this year
could, upon return, give a recap presentation of two or three of the
most interesting talks/papers they saw.  Since the PRL has been
submitting to major conferences in force recently, we could actually
cover a lot of ground this way!

Aaron