[linux-users] Linux machines after downtime

Jay Sekora jay at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Jul 3 00:10:28 EDT 2005

> It looks like our main fileserver, krypton, did not come back up after
> the down time.  We are investigating this, and hopefully should have it
> back up soon.

When I came in (while power was still out to most of the building),
krypton was powered-on and its little LCD panel was scrolling normally,
so I assumed it hadn't been shut down.  (It doesn't have a console
attached.)  Sorry about that.

(I guess it was actually halted, but not powered off.  krypton is in
the machine room, which is on generator power, so it never lost power.)

I just power-cycled it, and was able to log in to it over the net.

I don't know if the four Linux machines in 102 need to be rebooted
now that krypton is up; in any case, since I don't have root on them
somebody else will need to do that if necessary.

Cheers,

Jay