[linux-users] Spring '05 Release 1

Josh Abraham jabra at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Feb 15 13:22:10 EST 2005

Dear Linux Users,

On behalf of the Crew Linux Administers, I am happy to announce the
first release of 2005, which will be in the lab 102 WVH on Thursday
after downtime(1515 - 1545 hours). This release includes a switch in
distribution from Debian to Ubuntu. We have chosen to switch to Ubuntu
for a number of reasons, located at http://crew.ccs.neu.edu/wiki/WhyUbuntu

Other than the switch to Ubuntu, we have upgrade all the software on the
machine and also installed some new software as follows:

* perltidy
* reportbug
* pngcrush
* xmove
* dh-make & fakeroot for building .debs
* upgraded printcap
* patched openssl

* beta system implemented

New BETA Software
* drscheme 209
* naim 0.11
* snownews 1.5.6.1
* pork 0.99.7

Mail improvements
* move from exim3 to exim4
* spam filtering
* virus filtering

If anyone would like to start building beta software please send a
request to linux at rt.crew.ccs.neu.edu

We hope you find this new release useful. If you have any questions or
concerns about these Linux machines, please feel free to stop by the Pit
(314 West Village H) and we will try our best to help.

Please send problems to linux-dev at lists.ccs.neu.edu

--
Josh Abraham
Crew Linux Project Admin