[Linux-users] Verizon DSL

Jon Hart linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 04:53:43 -0500

> Is anyone using Linux at home with Verizon's DSL and can report
> how well it works?

I've been using Earthlink for over a year now and really haven't had any
major problems with the service.  I've had both a Linux box and an OpenBSD
box handling the connection for me, and both were just as easy to setup.
At least with Earthstink anyway, using *nix as your method of connection
can be a bit troublesome when it comes to tech support.  There have been a
few times where I couldn't connect for a few hours, and all signs pointed
to Earthlink being the problem.  It just requires that you be creative
if/when you need tech support.  I generally end up choosing the Mac support
line -- the wait is usually short and it is usually easier to explain to
the tech "no, I'm using a different operating system."

There is tons of documentation on the web about setting up every possible
DSL/cable connection with nearly every *nix variant.  In the end, it'll be
for the better.

-jon