[Linux-users] welcome back (to me!)

Jon Hart linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:55:32 -0500

> I appreciate the work everyone has done last quarter to keep this project afloat
> and thank the people who've been keeping software up to date. I need to ask one
> favor, and that's to remove the source directories from /usr/local/src when
> a program is running stably and tested. keep the tarballs if you wish, but
> there's no need to have multiple copies of the same object code laying around
> a system. thanks!

Welcome back, Marc.

I had been wondering where the src directories where going.  Personally, I
find it useful to have someone else's src directory available when building
a package (just in case there were any special/tricky compile options that
we may need.)  For example, when the next update for OpenSSH comes out, I'd
like to refer back to my old install and see exactly what support I
compiled in.

The alternative to having the compilation process auto-document itself is
to acutally write-up how we built particular pieces of software.  Here's a
good example:

	/arch/daemons/packages/postfix-20010228pl08sol26/Install/Compiling.notes

If space is any issue, we could probably fix that when we finally get
/arch/linux in place.  I know before CCS got its new NetApp in place,
/ccs/src/ was getting rather full.  Our choices at the time included 'make
clean' in all the directories, or removing the directories all together.
IIRC, 'make clean' was the decision, and it actually saved quite a bit of
space.

Thoughts?

-jon