[Larceny-users] building git version for flat1 (latin1)

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 11 11:31:04 EST 2016

Good to hear from you, Sven.

> For older projects, I still need Latin-1, so I decided to build
> the git version using the flat1 option.
> I followed the file doc/HOWTO-BUILD and used Larceny 0.98 as the
> host system. Steps 1 and 2 went smoothly.
> For step 3, there was no ./larceny.bin in the top-level git directory,
> but only in src/Rts/.
> I used:
> > cd src/Rts/
> > ./larceny.bin -stopcopy -- src/Build/iasn-larceny-heap.fasl
>
> Is this correct?

That might work, but I think larceny.bin is supposed to be
copied out of src/Rts into the root directory.  It could be
that our autobuild scripts do that but our HOWTO-BUILD file
neglects to mention that step.

> Furthermore, there is no file larceny for the next steps.
> Should I copy the one from 0.98 ?

That will probably work.  Once again, our HOWTO-BUILD file
is probably not telling you where to obtain that shell script.

> At what step should I change the environment variable LARCENY_ROOT
> from pointing to Larceny 0.98 to the build git version?

I *think* LARCENY_ROOT is used only by the larceny and twobit
shell scripts, so you should change LARCENY_ROOT after you've
built larceny.bin and the heap files and before you start to
use the larceny shell script to run the newly built system.
In particular, you'll want to change LARCENY_ROOT before you
compile the R7RS libraries.  The larceny script will itself
set LARCENY_ROOT to a reasonable default if LARCENY_ROOT isn't
already defined, but a prior definition of LARCENY_ROOT would
prevent the newly built system from running.

That's all from memory.  I won't have time to test this myself
for a couple of days, because the new semester's classes start
today and tomorrow.

Will