[Larceny-users] Bootstrapping...

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 22 22:18:16 EDT 2009

David Rush wrote:
> Whatever. PLT's build problems are not Larceny's - but they are
> indirectly since Larceny needs a host Scheme to bootstrap. What are
> the chances of getting another easy-to-bootstrap (e.g. Gambit or
> Chicken) Scheme added to the bootstrap list?

Pretty good in the medium and long term, but I don't know
when.

At this time, PLT v37x is the only supported alternative
to Larceny itself for building Larceny.  We do not support
PLT v4  for that purpose; indeed, PLT v4 introduced so
many compatibility problems that I doubt whether we will
ever use PLT v4 to build Larceny.  That means we need to
look for an alternative.

Gambit-C is a likely choice.  The new release of Chicken
sounds as though it may be more R5RS-conforming, which
might make it a contender.  We'll be looking at those
and several others, but will probably support only one.

Will