[Larceny-users] first steps with Larceny

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 03:44:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:36 AM, David Rush <kumoyuki at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/21 Michele Simionato <michele.simionato at gmail.com>:
>> P.S. indeed Larceny is the Scheme implementation
>> with the more baroque installation procedure I have
>> seen.
>
> As much as I really like working with Larceny (and that is quite a
> lot), I have to agree with you here. Isecond this comment because I am
> currently having this pain as well.
>
>> Using PLT 4.0 as boostrap compiler did not work,
>
> Why? I was putting in a fair bit of effort to getting PLT 4.1.5 to
> build on a Debian Etch system, and would prefer to *not* continue
> wasting my time.

For stupid things, like "if" requiring two branches in PLT 4
(i.e. (if cond then-clause) is invalid syntax), another
thing I forgot and possibly others. Rather than fighting
I installed the larceny binaries.

> Please, no! PLT does *not* have an easy installation procedure in my
> book at all, although it's better than it used to be. Right now, PLT
> 4.1.5 will not build using gcc 4's pre-processor. And since the binary
> distro I downloaded from plt-scheme.org has version compatibility
> issues with my Etch glibc version. And the PLT package in Etch appears
> to be for version 352 (while Larceny require at least v370).
>
> Now Gambit's install:
>
> $ (./configure; make; make install)
>
> That's what I call simple!

Ok. The best would probably be to have a debian/rpm package
with Petit Larceny (I say Petit because I am assuming that
it should be more portable across different architectures,
being an interpreter, but I may be wrong).