[Larceny-users] first steps with Larceny

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 03:36:47 EDT 2009

2009/4/21 Michele Simionato <michele.simionato at gmail.com>:
> P.S. indeed Larceny is the Scheme implementation
> with the more baroque installation procedure I have
> seen.

As much as I really like working with Larceny (and that is quite a
lot), I have to agree with you here. Isecond this comment because I am
currently having this pain as well.

> Using PLT 4.0 as boostrap compiler did not work,

Why? I was putting in a fair bit of effort to getting PLT 4.1.5 to
build on a Debian Etch system, and would prefer to *not* continue
wasting my time.

> support PLT as bootstrap compiler, since PLT
> is the implementation with the easier installation
> procedure ever, since it comes as prepackaged
> with many Linux distributions (at least with Ubuntu
> and Fedora).

Please, no! PLT does *not* have an easy installation procedure in my
book at all, although it's better than it used to be. Right now, PLT
4.1.5 will not build using gcc 4's pre-processor. And since the binary
distro I downloaded from plt-scheme.org has version compatibility
issues with my Etch glibc version. And the PLT package in Etch appears
to be for version 352 (while Larceny require at least v370).

Now Gambit's install:

$ (./configure; make; make install)

That's what I call simple!

david rush