[Larceny-users] Any sort of -O0 flag to speed up compiles?

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Sat May 3 13:50:15 EDT 2008

Ryan Newton wrote:
> The compile times with Larceny are causing some pain, is
> there any way to switch off all but the essential compilation tasks?

For information:

    (help 'compiler-switches)
    (compiler-switches)

Although (compiler-switches 'slow) will disable all
optimizations, you probably don't want to do anything
that drastic.  The following will disable the most
time-consuming optimizations:

    (global-optimization #f)

We'd be interested to know how much difference that
makes.  As of v0.96, those optimizations are supposed
to detect when they're taking too long and shut down
(or widen) when that happens.

I presume you know about the compile-stale script.
To disable global optimizations, you can change that
script to

    (import (larceny compiler) (primitives global-optimization))

    (global-optimization #f)

    (compile-stale-libraries)

That script recompiles everything in the current
directory and everything imported, transitively.
With 80 KLOC, I can see how that would take a long
time.  Intelligent recompilation would save a lot
of that time, but we haven't implemented it yet.

> Is there some problem with cons* not being exported by (rnrs)?

Yes.  It wasn't being exported by (rnrs lists) either.
Thanks for the bug reports!

Will