[Larceny-users] Build Larceny I32 from SVN on Linux

Felix felixluser at pnkfx.org
Fri Oct 12 16:57:44 EDT 2007

On Oct 12, 2007, at 4:23 PM, Ray Racine wrote:

> I've been incrementally building Larceny from svn and following
> progress.
>
> I caught up today with an svn update and ran across the following
> build
> issue (otherwise it builds fine).
>
> (build-runtime) failed as the generated Makefile in Rts fails to
> mention
> Sys/seqbuf.$(O) anywhere.
>
> When I manually added Sys/seqbuf.$(O) to the Makefile then the runtime
> built.
>
> If the header comment on the generated Makefile is to be believed then
> the issue would be in Rts/make-templates.sch.

I suspect the problem is actually that the build system is not
properly regenerating the Makefile when make-templates.sch is changed.

In changeset:4973, I put (presumably appropriate) occurrences of "Sys/
seqbuf.$(O)" into src/Rts/make-templates.sch

This problem (of the Makefile not being regenerated when it should
be) is probably a previously encountered bug that should have a
Ticket opened for it.

I admit that I have often just worked around the problem by either
deleting the Makefile or by manually invoking (build-makefile).

I think the reason that this is not a simple matter of always
regenerating the Makefile or regenerating it based on comparing the
timestamps of make-templates.sch and Makefile is that we don't want
to clobber experimental changes that a developer makes to the Makefile.

-Felix