[Larceny-users] Digression from ( Explicit renaming library)

Felix felixluser at pnkfx.org
Wed Aug 1 13:35:47 EDT 2007

David (and readding larceny-users to the CC list)-

On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:08 PM, David Rush wrote:

> On 8/1/07, Felix <felixluser at pnkfx.org> wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:15 PM, David Rush wrote:
>>> Should I have been able to just
>>> (require 'VanTonderMacros/macros-core)
>>
>> The VanTonderMacros directory has not been updated with the latest
>> I will probably be taking care of updating the VanTonderMacros
>> directory to the most recent version soon.
>
> Not to inflict any pressure or anything, but is there a chance of a
> relatively soon release (like before the voting period ends) so that I
> can get some hands-on with R6RS?

Well, one simple way for you to get hands-on experience is probably
to download Andre's distribution from his website and just use it
directly.  This is what I would recommend, since that way you can
switch from Larceny to MzScheme as I assume Andre does.

I won't make any predictions about when the next Larceny release will
be or what features it will sport.

Having said that, I have now upgraded to the July 31st distribution
of the VanTonderMacros and incorporated them into our lib/
VanTonderMacros directory.  So if you use the subversion trunk of
Larceny, you can also play with it there.

As far as I can tell, the tests that Andre provides in examples.scm
seem to work for us; this is how I tested it:

% ./larceny
Larceny v0.94 "Doomsday Device" (Aug  1 2007 12:51:44,
precise:Linux:unified)
larceny.heap, built on Wed Aug  1 12:53:28 EDT 2007

0

 > (load "examples.scm")
... (mucho output elided) ...

Note that the $ex:repl procedure provided by Andre isn't exactly what
I would consider an interactive repl; I consider it more of a whole
program eval procedure.  In the process of doing the upgrade to the
newer distribution, I have removed the interactive repl functionality
that I had previously hacked into his original code.  I may look into
adding an interactive repl again in the future (where the repl would
allow one to import a library L at one prompt and later refer to
bindings imported from L at a later prompt), but it is not an
immediate goal for me.

-Felix