[Cs5500] Baby avatar ranked higher than teacher avatar?

Madhuvanthi Balasubramanian balasubramanian.m at husky.neu.edu
Wed Nov 30 10:05:37 EST 2011

Professor,

We let the teacher avatar propose values from 0.01 all the way until 0.61
to test the refuting and strengthening skills of other avatars. Since the
teacher avatar proposed sub-optimal claims most of the time and the baby
avatar proposes random claims, there are chances the baby avatar may have
proposed better claims most times. (The teacher avatar could have proposed
0.61 only once whereas the baby avatar's probability of proposing a good
claim is much higher).

Again, we let the teacher avatar's claim precision be 2 digits just to test
our new CompareTo method. I guess the test worked fine and all avatars that
used more accurate precisions as you say, scored higher than the teacher
avatar.

We ran the teacher avatar more as a testing avatar than as a perfect
avatar, because we figured out there are many such perfect avatars around
to do the teacher avatar's job.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Karl Lieberherr <lieber at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Madhu:
>
> thank you for running the tournament last night. What a turnout!
>

> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lieber/courses/se-courses/cs5500/f11/projects/project-page/MMG_CountingTournament_Nov29/Tournament%20-%20MMG_CountingTournament_Nov29.htm
>
> I have two questions for which I would like to get an explanation:
>
> Why is the baby avatar ranked higher than the teacher avatar.
>
> Why do the best student avatars collect twice as many points as the
> teacher avatar.
> I guess the reason is that the students use a more accurate way to
> evaluate the expressions than the teacher avatar. Or is there another
> reason?
>
> -- Karl

 Thanks
- Madhu