[Cs5500] Fwd: [Cs4800] How does scoring work?

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Nov 9 10:14:30 EST 2011

Srinivas sent a good message to the undergraduate class. This is managing
software development in action! We have an angry group of users and
Srinivas found a good way to calm them.

Why are they angry? Because they really care about how our software works
because their grade will depend on it! And they found multiple bugs that
give them a bad grade although their avatar does perfect work.

This is not a good situation to be in. We use our users to debug our
software.
Our users want to learn about algorithms. Fortunately, our software is also
an algorithm: an avatar evaluation algorithm. And they see value in this
algorithm and help us to implement it correctly.

I made the mistake of not pushing you more to find bugs. I set up testing
projects and tournament projects in 3 playgrounds. I made the mistake that
I did not notice that there is a feature selection missing at the
playground design level.

You made the mistake of not testing seriously enough and of not
helping me to think more carefully about playground design.

We need to pool together to get this repaired.

-- Karl