[Cs5500] More questions - Homework 1

Madhuvanthi Balasubramanian balasubramanian.m at husky.neu.edu
Mon Sep 19 15:26:06 EDT 2011

Hello All,

         Here are the answers to the first 3 questions, as discussed with
the Professor this morning.

1.      How is quality calculated in general ?

         In case of HSR, it is the ratio of the "claimed" highest rung to
the highest rung n.
         In CSP, it is the ratio of the number of variables assigned to the
maximum number of variables.
         I'm not sure how this compares to the MMG problem. Is the quality
measured by how close the claimed c is, to the maximum C
        ? In that case, the SCG court is supposed to
         have an idea of the maximum C, which cannot be possible. So how do
we measure quality then?

         In case of MMG, quality is measured by how close the solution
brings the inequality to the claimed K(C) value. In other words,

                     { Quality q =          0,               if f(x,y) < C
                                                 =             f(x,y)-C ,
  if (f (x,y ) > = C }

               where f(x,y) is the inequality (xy + (1-x)(1-y^2)), C is the
claim, x is the instance and y is the solution.

2.      What's the deal with computing reputation in case of an agreement?

         There are 3 conditions that both Alice and Bob would have to
meet,in order to win/defend the agreement.
         But we are not clear on how this works.(Why would Bob have to
defend C,against Alice, to agree with Alice on C ?? )
         Could someone clear this up for us?

         In case of an agreement, both Alice and Bob would have to defend C
against the other person and refute its negation.

         This brings up 4 scenerios:

               1. If Bob successfully defends and refutes and Alice doesn't,
Bob wins reputation and Alice loses her reputation.
               2. If Alice successfully defends and refutes C and Bob
doesn't, Alice wins reputation and Bob loses.
               3. If both Alice and Bob successfully defend and refute C and
agree, both win, the reputations remain unaffected, and the claim goes to
the claim repository.
               4. If neither is successful - this will be discussed in class
today.

3.      We have assumed that in case of a refute, an instance is provided,
and in case of a strengthen, the current claim is strengthened with a better
value (new claim ). Is our
         understanding right?

               Our protocol (ForAllExists) dictates that Bob would always
provide an instance when he refutes and Alice would provide a solution to
defend herself successfully. Other protocols may dictate otherwise. We'll
look into other protocols in class today.

 Thanks
- Madhu