[Cs4800] Fwd: Questions

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 1 10:43:56 EDT 2011

Hi Matthew:

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Matthew Strax-Haber
<straxhaber at gmail.com>wrote:

> Re the avatar assignment.
>
> 1) can we retain state between multiple 'turns' for our avatar?

Yes. Your avatar "sleeps" on the CCIS machine between turns and you can
retain state. You can also precompute knowledge before the tournament
starts.

> 2) are there any caps on memory usage, or does it just have to run on a
> CCIS lab machine (the usual requirement)?

Yes, has to run on a CCIS machine.

> 3) will we interact directly with other avatars, or only through the
> administrator?

Only through the administrator.

> 4) should we spend time writing defensive code? (i.e., protecting against
> nulls in poorly formed trees, cycles in trees, etc.)

Very good question. Answer: No. The playground designers and the SCG Court
system provides this defensive programming. Th administrator will remove an
avatar who provides an illegal decision tree.

-- Karl