[Colloq] REMINDER: Talk - Program Analysis and Transformation for Software Engineering - Frank Tip - Today. Thursday. Oct 22nd, 2-3pm, WVH 366

Walker, Lashauna la.walker at neu.edu
Thu Oct 22 11:42:53 EDT 2015

Title: Program Analysis and Transformation for Software Engineering
Speaker: Frank Tip
Date: Thursday, October 22nd
Time: 2:00-3:00pm

Location: 366 WVH

Abstract:
Software  Engineering  is  a  branch  of  computer  science  that  deals  with  the  design,  implementation,  and
maintenance  of  complex  computer  programs. Among  the  most  important  goals  in  Software  Engineering
Research are improving the quality of software and the productivity of programmers. In this presentation, I
will  show  how  automated  program  analysis  and  transformation  techniques  can  help  programmers
improve  their  code,  relieve  them  from  repetitive  and  error-prone  tasks,  and,  when  faults  do  creep  in,
assist  with  finding  the  root  cause  of  errors.  This  presentation  covers  three  projects  in  which  such
techniques  are  used.  First,  I  will  discuss  how  type  constraints  are  used  to  build  advanced  refactoring
features of Eclipse, a popular development environment for Java. Second, I will show how concurrency-
related   errors   such   as   data   races   and   atomicity   violations   can   be   prevented   by   synthesizing
synchronization  code  from  high-level,  data-centric,  specifications.  Lastly,  I  will  show  how  static  program
analysis can discover bugs in event-driven JavaScript applications

Thank You.

LaShauna Walker
Executive Assistant to Dean Carla Brodley
College of Computer and Information Science
Northeastern University
617-373-5204
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ccisatnu?ref=hl> | Instagram<https://instagram.com/ccisatnu/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Northeastern-University-College-Computer-Information-1943637?gid=1943637&mostPopular=&trk=tyah&trkInfo=idx%3A1-1-1%2CtarId%3A1426606862845%2Ctas%3ANortheastern+University+College+of+Com> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/CCISatNU>