[Colloq] Talk: Positive Computing - Rafael Calvo - 1/26 11-12 WVH366

Timothy Bickmore bickmore at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jan 16 15:52:58 EST 2015

Positive Computing: Technologies forpsychologicalwellbeing and human
potential

Rafael Calvo, University of Sydney

Mon 1/26, 11-12, WVH366

Abstract

Digital technologies have made their way into all the aspects of our
lives that, according to psychology, influence our wellbeing --
everything from social relationships and curiosity to engagement and
learning.  By bringing together research and methodologies
well-established in psychology, education, neuroscience and
human-computer interaction, we can begin to cultivate a new field
dedicated to the design and development of technology that supports
wellbeing and human potential.

More specifically, in this seminar I will present an introduction to our
Human-Computer interaction work aiming to support psychological
wellbeing. The suggested HCI framework builds on psychology, education,
design and other disciplines addressing intrapersonal factors of
wellbeing such as motivation, engagement, reflective thought and
mindfulness, interpersonal factors such as empathy, and
extrapersonalsuch as altruism.

For more information visit positivecomputing.org
<http://positivecomputing.org>

Rafael Calvo is Professor at the University of Sydney. He has taught at
several Universities, high schools and professional training
institutions. He worked at the Language Technology Institute in Carnegie
Mellon University, Universidad Nacionalde Rosario (Argentina) and on
sabbaticals at the University of Cambridge and the University of
Memphis. Rafael also has worked as an Internet consultant for projects
in the US, Australia, Brasil, and Argentina. Rafael is the  author of
two books and many publications in the fields of learning technologies,
affective computing and computational intelligence. Rafael is Associate
Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies and of IEEE
Transactions on Affective Computing and Senior Member of IEEE. Rafael
isEditor of the Oxford Handbook of Affective Computing. “Positive
Computing” (MIT Press) with Dorian Peters is coming out this October.
For more information visit: rafael-calvo.com <http://rafael-calvo.com>

Timothy W. Bickmore, Ph.D.                         bickmore at ccs.neu.edu
Associate Professor               http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bickmore/
College of Computer and Information Science      Office: (617) 373-5477
Northeastern University, 202 West Village H         FAX: (617) 812-2589
360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115