[Colloq] Talk by David Starobinski, Boston University on Tuesday May 22nd at 11:00am in 366WVH

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu May 17 15:45:50 EDT 2012

The College of Computer and Information Science presents:

Title: Jamming-Resistant Rate Control in Wi-Fi Networks
Speaker: David Starobinski, Boston University
Date/Time: Tuesday May 22nd at 11:00am
Location: 366 WVH

Abstract:
Recent experimental studies reveal that several well-known and widely deployed rate adaptation algorithms (RAAs) in 802.11 WLANs are vulnerable to selective jamming attacks. However, previous work resorts to complex jamming strategies and does not provide applicable solutions to this problem. In this work, we analyze the vulnerabilities of existing RAAs to simple jamming attacks and propose judicious use of randomization to address this problem. We introduce a theoretical framework based on a bursty periodic jamming model to analyze the vulnerabilities of popular RAAs, such as ARF, AARF, Onoe, and SampleRate. Our parameterized analysis shows that a jamming rate of 10% or below is sufficient to bring the throughput of these algorithms below the base rate of 1 Mb/s, hence leading to a throughput degradation of up to 98%. Thereafter, we propose a new algorithm, called Randomized ARF (RARF), that is resistant to jamming attacks. We derive a closed-form lower bound on the minimum jamming rate required to keep the throughput of RARF below the base rate. We conduct ns-3 simulations implementing the various RAAs and jamming strategies for an IEEE 802.11g WLAN. Our simulations validate the jamming strategies under different channel models and show that the minimum jamming rate required against RARF is about 33%.

Joint work with Cankut Orakcal

Bio

David Starobinski received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering (1999) from the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology. In 1999-2000 he was a visiting postdoctoral researcher in the EECS department at UC Berkeley. In 2007-2008, he was an invited Professor at EPFL (Switzerland). Since September 2000, he has been with Boston University, where he is now a Professor.
Dr. Starobinski received a CAREER award from the U.S. National Science Foundation (2002), an Early Career Principal Investigator (ECPI) award from the U.S. Department of Energy (2004), the best paper award at the WiOpt 2010 conference, and the 2010 BU ECE Faculty Teaching Award. He is currently an Associate Editor of the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. His research interests are in the modeling, performance evaluation, and security of communication networks.

--

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462