[Colloq] Thesis Proposal Tuesday September 13th at 10:00am

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Sep 7 15:23:06 EDT 2011

The College of Computer and Information Science Presents:

Thesis Proposal
Laura Pfeifer Vardoulakis

Date:  Tuesday September 13th
Time: 10:00am
Location: 366 West Village H

Title: Conducting Automated Interviews for Longitudinal Health Follow-Up

Abstract:

Long-term health monitoring is becoming increasingly important with the rising prevalence of chronic disease in the U.S. While many researchers are investigating the use of remote biological monitoring technologies, the use of frequent self-report in long-term health monitoring remains a relatively unstudied area. I propose to study technologies designed specifically for the collection of self-reported health data. In order for these technologies to be successful, two main challenges must be overcome: 1) maximizing the accuracy of the self-reported data and 2) maintaining user engagement with the system so that it is usable over long periods of time. I will conduct two longitudinal experiments examining several factors that lead to improved data quality of self-reported information and long-term engagement with personal health technologies.

Committee:

Timothy Bickmore (advisor)
Harriet Fell
Stephen Intille
Joseph Kvedar, MD (external member, Partners Healthcare Center for Connected Health)

--

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462