[Colloq] PhD Thesis Defense, Jing Shan, Tuesday, Aug. 15

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Aug 10 11:41:10 EDT 2006

College of Computer and Information Science
presents a PhD Thesis Defense by:
Jing Shan

Title:
The Spatial C-Tree: An Index Method with High Concurrency and Efficient
Recovery

Tuesday, August 15, 2006
10:00am
366 West Village H

Abstract

Indexes are used in database management systems as a mechanism to speed
up data retrieval. A good index structure should ensure that the data
access through it is efficient and transactional. For one dimensional
data, the B$^{+}$-tree and its variants, such as the B$^{link}$-Tree and
the $\Pi$-tree, are used widely because of their good query performance
and concurrency control and recovery. However, structures for
multidimensional data, despite the intense research for more than two
decades, have not been so successful. Very few of the many proposed
structures are implemented in commercial databases. For those that have
been used, users are confronted with either poor performance or low
concurrency.

We proposed a new spatial access method called the Spatial C-Tree.  Our
approach extends the C-Tree framework, which provides efficient
concurrency control and robust recovery mechanism. We have implemented
the Spatial C-Tree and compared it with several R-Tree variants. Our
performance results show that the Spatial C-Tree performs very well in
terms of insertion and exact match queries with various data sets. Our
range query performance is also comparable to the R-Tree variants. The
query performance and the high concurrency guarantee make the Spatial
C-Tree a promising access method for spatial data.

Thesis Defense Committee:
   Professor Betty Salzberg (Advisor)
   Dr David Lomet (Microsoft Research)
   Professor Donghui Zhang
   Professor Rajmohan Rajaraman

--
Rachel Kalweit
College of Computer and Information Science
rachelb at ccs.neu.edu