[Colloq] PhD Thesis Defense - Rui Wang, Monday, Aug. 14

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Aug 9 11:00:16 EDT 2006

College of Computer and Information Science
presents a PhD Thesis Defense by:
Rui Wang

Title:
Log-Based Recovery for Middleware Servers

Monday, August 14, 2006
3:00pm
366 West Village H

Abstract

The fact that computer system crashes cannot be completely prevented
makes recovery an unavoidable choice for high availability. Among fault
tolerant techniques, log-based recovery is relatively cheap yet provides
effective recovery upon crashes. In this thesis we study log-based
recovery for middleware servers such as Web services, which involve
thread pooling, private in-memory states for clients, shared in-memory
state, interactions among middleware servers and interactions with
transactional systems such as DBMSs. This recovery guarantees the
semantics of exactly-once execution upon crashes. Observing rareness of
system crashes, relatively small size of shared state and infrequency of
shared state read/write accesses, we reduce the logging overhead and
keep recovery independence as much as possible. System interactions with
transactional systems have low logging overhead and require little
modification to existing transactional systems. Checkpointing has a very
small impact on ongoing activities. Our recovery mechanism enables
client private in-memory states to be recovered in parallel after a
crash. We have implemented our recovery infrastructure prototype for Web
services within the Microsoft ASP.NET framework. Our implementation
demonstrates the manageability of system complexity and shows promising
preliminary performance results.

Thesis Defense Committee:
	Prof. Betty Salzberg (Advisor, NEU)
	Dr. David Lomet (Microsoft Research)