[Colloq] Colloquium Speaker- Wednesday @ Noon

Chantal Cardona chantalc at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:36:20 EDT 2005

**

* *

*College** of **Computer** and Information Science Colloquium*

Presents:

*Xinping Zhu*

*ECE Northeastern University*

Who will speak on:

*Design and Simulation of Multi-Core System-on-Chips*

* *

*/Wednesday, October 26, 2005/**//*

*/12:00Noon/*

*/366 West Village H/*

*/Northeastern University/*

*/ /*

_Abstract_:

Recent years have seen a proliferation of complex System-on-Chips (SoCs)
that are composed of multiple processor cores. These multi-core based
systems promise to deliver more computation power to the end users.

In this talk, I will introduce a retargetable simulation framework where
SoC designs, including the on-chip networks, can be constructed easily
and evaluated efficiently and faithfully. The modeling and simulation
platform is based on an existing formal concurrency model, the Operation
State Machine (OSM). Coupled with existing Processor Element (PE)
models, this framework is capable of synthesizing a multiprocessor
cycle-accurate SoC simulator from a system-level description.
Experimental results show that this framework can significantly reduce
the design turn around time and improve design reuse in the early stages
of SoC design.

Looking forward, we are exploring various hardware and software design
issues to make the multi-core based SoCs more reliable and efficient. We
see the multi-core SoC as an ideal platform where innovative system
research can be experimented on.

_Bio_:

Xinping Zhu is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical
and Computer Engineering of Northeastern University. He received his
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Princeton University in 2005. He
obtained his B.S.E. degree in Automation from Tsinghua University,
Beijing, in 1999. His research focuses on developing modeling and
simulation tools for advanced multiprocessing general purpose and
embedded processors.**