[Colloq] Colloquium Speaker - TODAY @ 12NOON

Chantal Cardona chantalc at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Oct 19 09:15:28 EDT 2005

**

* *

*College** of **Computer** and Information Science Colloquium*

Presents:

*Dr. Eynat Rafalin*

*Tufts** **University***

Who will speak on:

*Algorithms & Analysis of Depth Functions using Computational Geometry*

* *

*/Wednesday, October 19, 2005/**//*

*/12:00pm/**//*

*/366 West Village H/*

*/Northeastern University/*

*Abstract*

The field of Computational Geometry deals with the systematic study of
algorithms and data structures for geometric objects. Applications can
be found in such fields as VLSI design, computer graphics, robotics,
computer-aided design, pattern recognition, and statistics.

Data depth is a statistical analysis method that assigns a numeric value
to a point, corresponding to its centrality relative to a data set. The
data depth concept has significant potential as a data analysis tool,
but efficient computational tools are not yet available.

In my talk I will show how computational geometry techniques were used
to enhance our knowledge about the statistical concept of data depth and
how they provided efficient algorithms to solve problems related to the
concept.

*Biography*

Dr Eynat Rafalin is an NSF-funded Postdoctoral Associate at Tufts
University. Her main research interest is development and analysis of
geometric algorithms for problems from a variety of application areas.
Her recent focus is application of computational geometry techniques to
the analysis of the statistical concept of data-depth. Dr. Rafalin
received her Ph.D. and M.Sc. in computer-science from Tufts University
and a B.Sc. in Physics and Mathematics from the Hebrew University. More
details about her work in http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~erafalin/
<http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/%7Eerafalin/>