[Colloq] Hiring Talk: Wed. April 13, 11am - Timothy Bickmore

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Apr 11 11:51:28 EDT 2005

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Timothy Bickmore

Who will speak on:
Relational Agents: Effecting Change through
        Human-Computer Relationships

Wednesday, April 13, 2005
11:00am

Relational Agents are computational artifacts designed to build
long-term, social-emotional relationships with users. My research in
this area involves: 1) studying how people build relationships in
face-to-face conversation in task settings and how these relationships
are leveraged to maximize task outcomes; 2) designing this relational
behavior into autonomous social interface agents; and 3) performing
efficacy studies on the resulting systems. My work focuses on Relational
Agents as a specialized kind of embodied conversational agent, which are
animated humanoid software agents that use speech, gaze, gesture,
intonation and other nonverbal modalities to communicate with users, so
that both verbal and nonverbal relationship-building strategies can be
used. This research involves elements of computational linguistics,
computer graphics, planning, and human-computer interaction, and
incorporates knowledge from social psychology and communication.

I have been conducting this work primarily in the health care domain,
where the quality of relationship between patients and health providers
has been demonstrated to be a significant factor in patient
satisfaction, adherence and outcomes.  I will present work that I have
done on two exercise coaching systems--one used in a study with MIT
students and one used in a study with geriatrics patients--as well as
earlier work on a real estate sales agent that used social dialog to
build trust with potential buyers. I will discuss the underlying
technologies used in these systems, as well as the results of user studies.

Bio:
Timothy Bickmore is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Medical
Information Systems Unit at the Boston University School of Medicine.
At BU, Dr. Bickmore has been developing health behavior change
interventions involving the use of Relational Agents for the last two
years. Prior to joining BU, Dr. Bickmore spent five years working
towards his PhD in Media Arts & Sciences at MIT, studying in the Media
Lab under Profs. Rosalind Picard (Affective Computing) and Justine
Cassell (Gesture and Narrative Language). At MIT he developed a wide
range of Embodied Conversational Agents and related technologies and
performed several studies on human face-to-face conversation and
evaluation studies of developed systems. Prior to MIT, Dr. Bickmore
spent four years at the Fuji-Xerox Palo Alto Research Lab as a
Consulting Scientist, before which he worked in Aerospace R&D labs in
Northern California.

Host:  Peter Tarasewich