[Colloq] Reminder: Hiring Talk, TODAY, 11:45am - Brian Demsky - MIT

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Apr 11 08:49:05 EDT 2005

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Brian Demsky
MIT

Who will speak on:
Data Structure Repair

Monday, April 11, 2005
11:45am

Programs often make assumptions about the states of the data structures
that they manipulate.  Errors that cause these data structures to become
inconsistent can therefore be especially damaging, since inconsistent
data structures may cause software systems to behave unacceptably or
even fail
catastrophically.

In this talk, I will present my specification-based approach to data
structure repair.  In this approach, the developer simply writes a
declarative specification of the key consistency properties for the data
structures.  My repair algorithm generator then compiles this
specification to automatically generate a repair algorithm for the data
structure.  The automatically-generated repair algorithm is guaranteed to
repair the inconsistencies in damaged data structures and to terminate.
I have evaluated my specification-based repair technique on several
real-world applications.  These applications include: AbiWord, an open
source word processor; a parallel x86 emulator; CTAS, an air traffic
control tool; FreeCiv, an online game; and a simplified Linux file
system. My repair technique successfully enabled these programs to
execute through otherwise fatal data structure corruption errors.

Host: Matthias Felleisen