[Colloq] Reminder: Hiring Talk, Monday, 3/28/05, 2pm - Riccardo Pucella

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:29:50 EST 2005

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Riccardo Pucella
Computer Science Department, Cornell University

Who will speak on:
Reasoning about Security

Monday, March 28, 2005
2:00pm

The past decade has seen an increase in the amount of work that deals
with security in one way or another, as it pertains, for instance, to
communication protocols, auctions, and access to distributed
resources. There are significant challenges in developing tools and
techniques to specify, model, and verify security properties of such
systems. In recent years, I have focused on developing frameworks to
better express and reason about security properties of systems in
general, and security protocols in particular. My work starts from the
premise that reasoning about security is really reasoning about what
agents (including possible intruders) in a system know; most security
properties get a natural reading in terms of knowledge. This makes
formal theories of knowledge and uncertainty a good foundation on which
to build frameworks for reasoning about security. In this talk, I will
focus on some of the most interesting issues that arise in this setting.
More specifically, I will point out some limitations of formal models of
knowledge for security, and present techniques for overcoming these
limitations, with the added benefit that they can model in a natural way
adversaries with different capabilities.  I will also discuss the
relevance of evidence when reasoning quantitatively about security, and
show how it can be used to formally capture certain forms of knowledge
that are difficult to express in other frameworks.

Biography:
Riccardo Pucella obtained his B.Sc. in Mathematics and M.Sc. in Computer
Science at McGill University in Montreal, after which he joined Bell
Labs to work on the SML/NJ compiler. He attended Cornell University a
few years later, completing a Ph.D. in Computer Science and working with
Joe Halpern on topics ranging from the theory of security to uncertainty
in AI, with stints exploring programming language semantics and type
systems. He is currently a postdoc at Cornell, working with Fred
Schneider and trying to wrap his head around proactive obfuscation.

Host: Matthias Felleisen