[Colloq] Reminder: Hiring Talk- NOW - Vicky Weissman

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Mar 25 11:01:58 EST 2005

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Vicky Weissman
Computer Science Department, Cornell University

Who will speak on:
Reasoning about Security Policies

Friday, March 25, 2005
11:00am

An authorization policy says that an action is permitted or forbidden if
certain conditions hold.  For example, in the James Bond movies, the
British Secret Service (MI6) has the policy 'an agent may assassinate
people (i.e., has a license to kill) if the agent's number begins with
'00'.'  Our goal is to answer questions about what is and is not allowed
by a set of policies. For example, we might want to know if James Bond,
who is Agent 007, may apply for a British passport, given the MI6's
policy and the British government policies 'British subjects may not
assassinate one another' and 'only British subjects may apply for
British passports'.  In this talk, I show that the policies forbid James
to apply for a passport.  To handle a wide-range of policies and
queries, I also present a fragment of first-order logic that Joe Halpern
and I discovered; if the policies are written in the fragment, then we
can answer queries in a provably correct way and in time that is
quadratic in the size of the query.  I finish the talk by discussing the
impact our work has had on an industry-sponsored language called XrML.

Bio:
Vicky Weissman is graduating this August from Cornell University.  Her
work has been strongly influenced by both the formal methods community
that she now calls home and the engineering community where her
professional activities began with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and
few years experience in industry as first a hardware and then a software
engineer. Vicky's advisor is Joe Halpern.

Hosts: Peter Tarasewich and Carole Hafner