[Colloq] Talk, Thursday, December 2 - Shivkumar Kalyanaraman, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 30 10:11:13 EST 2004

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

presents
Shivkumar Kalyanaraman
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

who will speak on:
Building Blocks for Engineering QoS Expectations over Best-Effort Networks

Thursday, December 2, 2004
12:00pm
200 Richards Hall
Northeastern University

ABSTRACT
This talk will explore how techniques like closed-loop control and
distributed multi-path traffic engineering can be used in multi-homed,
overlay or peer-to-peer network contexts to engineer QoS expectations
over best-effort networks. The goal is to enable home-to-home (H2H)
multimedia applications such as streaming, instant multimedia messaging
and conferencing. In our closed-loop control work, we show how the
parameters of a class of "accumulation-based" congestion control
techniques can be modified to support QoS expectations as an extension
of "fairness" ideas. In our traffic engineering work, we develop an
evolutionary architectural framework ``BANANAS'' aimed at simplifying
the introduction of multipath routing in the Internet. A key idea in the
framework is the observation that a path can be encoded as a short hash
(``PathID'') of a sequence of globally known identifiers, thereby
avoiding the need for explicit signaling protocols. Finally, we show how
the performance diversity in a large number of overlay paths can be
aggregated and matched to inherent content diversity in multimedia
streaming applications to build the abstraction of an "end-to-end
broadband pipe".
Biography
Shivkumar Kalyanaraman is an Associate Professor at the Department of
Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute in Troy, NY. He received a B.Tech degree from the Indian
Institute of Technology, Madras, India in July 1993, followed by M.S.
and Ph.D. degrees in Computer and Information Sciences at the Ohio State
University in 1994 and 1997 respectively. His research is in topics such
as congestion control architectures, quality of service (QoS), last-mile
community wireless and free-space optical networks, network management,
multimedia networking, and performance analysis. His special interest
lies in developing the inter-disciplinary areas overlapping with
networking. He was selected by MIT's Technology Review Magazine in 1999
as one of the top 100 young innovators for the new millennium.