[Colloq] Please post this colloquium announcement

Eric Miller elmiller at ECE.NEU.EDU
Mon Oct 18 10:53:24 EDT 2004

Communications and Digital Signal Processing
Center for Research and Graduate Studies

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Title: "Computational Conformal Geometry for Brain Mapping"
Yalin Wang
Department of Mathematics, Harvard University

Date: Nov 4, 2004
Time: 3 PM
Location: 442 Dana Bldg.
Light refreshments will be served

Abstract

We developed a general method for global surface conformal
parameterization.  For genus zero surface, our algorithm can find a
conformal mapping between any two genus zero manifolds by minimizing
the harmonic energy.  For high genus surface, our algorithm can find
its global conformal parameterization by computing cohomology and
holomorphic 1-form.  We apply this algorithm to the cortical surface
matching problem.  We further extended the algorithm to find a 3D
volumetric harmonic map from a 3D brain volumetric model to a solid
sphere.  We proposed a new algorithm, sphere carving method, which can
build 3D tetrahedral mesh from a set of images with topology
preservation.  New research on surface matching will be discussed and
experimental results will be reported.