[Colloq] Talk - Muriel Medard, MIT - Friday, Oct. 22, 11:30am, 366WVH

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 14 13:45:15 EDT 2004

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

presents:
Muriel Medard
EECS, MIT

who will speak on:
Towards a Random and Distributed Operation of Multicast Networks

Friday, October 22, 2004
11:30am

ABSTRACT:
Recent developments in network coding have shown the benefits, in terms
of throughput, of effecting coding in the interior of the network,
making active use of the algebraic nature of data. In this talk, we
present a different aspect of network coding, which establishes that
network coding allows a random and altogether distributed optimal use of
networks for multicast connections. Our results bridge compression and
routing in a single network code. We argue that it is indeed the ease of
distributed optimization and randomized network codes for multicasting,
rather than the gains in transmission throughput, that may render the
use of randomized distributed network codes most attractive.
(Joint work with Ralf Koetter, Tracey Ho, Desmond Lun, Michelle Effros,
David Karger, Ben Leong, Niranjan Ratnakar)