[scponly] scponly failed

Peter Weil plweil at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 11 09:45:09 EDT 2008

Success(!). The sftp-server binary needed not only libraries in the/
lib64 directory, but in the /usr/lib64 directory as well. The other
machines I had installed scponly on don't even have lib64 drectories...

I hope this helps someone else:

If everything 'looks good' (directory structure, permissions, etc.)
but the secure log either 1) complains about a missing file that
appears to be associated with the sftp-server (or some other) binary;
or 2) closes the connection without explanation -- run ldd on the
binary and make sure all of the libraries are copied over to the
chrooted directory. I know this sounds like common sense, but every
machine is different; you just don't know what the requirements of an
individual machine are unless you explicitly run ldd on the binaries.

-Peter

--
Peter Weil, Web Developer
University Communications