[scponly] can't start sftp-server on Fedora Core 5

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Mar 28 14:11:16 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 10:21 am, cjones at patriot.net wrote:
> I guess so - I'm afraid I don't see the difference between what I
> say and what you say? Is some character being displayed
> differently? Or am I missing the obvious?

I didn't think that configure accepted -paramname, only --paramname, but I was
informed otherwise.  Sorry for the distraction.

> > Please turn on debugging and send us the output.  You should be
> > able to:
> >
> > echo 1 > /path/to/install/etc/scponly/debuglevel
> >
> > Then you should get a bunch of extra debugging information in
> > the appropriate syslog log.
>
> OK - did this. I'm not sure I know what I'm supposed to be doing
> next:

This is the piece we could use most.  Please check /var/log/*
(probably /var/log/messages) and let us know what additional logging
information gets placed there.

> I tried
> [root at 78/]# chroot /home/jph /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
>
> [root at 78 /]# chroot /home/jph usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
>
> These two yielded no response at all...

Do they just sit there apparently waiting for input?  If so, then the program
itself is working and the chroot is at least mostly setup correctly.

Thanks.

--Kaleb