[scponly] SFTP Logging Compatibility

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Fri Mar 17 11:46:50 EST 2006

I have seen a number of posts go across the list in which the debug logs
showed something like the following:

> scponly[544]: Unable to find "LOG_SFTP" in the environment
> scponly[544]: Found "USER" and setting it to "bobo"
> scponly[544]: Unable to find "SFTP_UMASK" in the environment
> scponly[544]: Unable to find "SFTP_PERMIT_CHMOD" in the environment
> scponly[544]: Unable to find "SFTP_PERMIT_CHOWN" in the environment
> scponly[544]: Unable to find "SFTP_LOG_LEVEL" in the environment
> scponly[544]: Unable to find "SFTP_LOG_FACILITY" in the environment
> scponly[544]: Found "HOME" and setting it to
> "/home/sbs/store000/bobo//home/main"
> scponly[544]: Environment contains "USER=bobo"
> scponly[544]: Environment contains

This seems to indicate that a lot of people are unnecessarily using the
--enable-sftp-logging-compat option.  This option is only necessary if the
"sftp logging patch" available at
(http://sftplogging.sourceforge.net/docs/installation.html) is in use.

Using --enable-sftp-logging-compat will not hurt anything, but does cause
scponly to needlessly search for environment variables to define that will
most likely not exist.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Thanks.

--Kaleb