[scponly] Re: Patch: passwd compatibility in chroots

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Thu Mar 9 18:22:03 EST 2006

Kaleb,

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Kaleb Pederson wrote:

> At the request of a couple of people, I'm resubmitting an updated patch for
> the ability to change passwords when using a chroot.
>
> Typically, if the passwd program is executed in a chroot, it will, at best,
> change the password and shadow files that exist within the chroot.  This,
> however, is generally not sufficient to enable the user to log into the
> system with the password that they now expect to be set, as the shadow file
> is outside of the chroot (note, this might not apply to other auth
> mechanisms).
>
> The attached patch (against CVS HEAD) does the following when
> --enable-chrooted-passwd-compat is enabled:

Thank you so much - I really needed this and appreciate it a lot.

A quick question - do I need _both_ flags:

--enable-passwd-compat
--enable-chrooted-passwd-compat

Or can I just use the second one which performs the functions of both ?  I
ask because after configuinr with _only_ your flag, I noticed that the
passwd binary did not get placed into my new jail ...

Thanks again.