[scponly] changing passwords remotely over scponly .. what am I doing wrong ?

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Mon Mar 6 16:56:19 EST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Kaleb Pederson wrote:

> You might have to issue "ssh -t username at hostname passwd".  Some OSs will
> disconnect you if you don't have a valid (pseudo-)terminal.
>
> If that doesn't help, turn on debugging "echo 1 > /etc/scponly/debuglevel" and
> then let us know what shows up in syslog so we can help more.

Ok, unfortunately, that did not work.  Both systems (client and
server) are FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.

Further, I do not have a /etc/scponly directory - I created one, and
echo'd a 1 to debuglevel, but am not sure if that will be effective.  I
see no new or interesting data in /var/log/auth.log ... or
/var/log/messages

The one difference I noticed, when adding the -t switch, is that ssh tells
me that the connection was closed - so whereas, without the -t switch, I
got:

# ssh username at hostname passwd
Password:
Changing local password for username