[scponly] scponly and sftp-logging patch possible?

Mike Kriz Mike.Kriz at INFOCISION.COM
Fri Jul 29 10:13:28 EDT 2005

OK, here are my findings.  I ran the strace on both an account using
scponly (non chrooted), and also an account using bash (where the
logging is working correctly).

Looking at the traces, the only thing interesting is a failed file open
to /dev/log, but then it is followed by a successful open, so I think
it's just trying to open it two different ways.  This is common in both
sets of logs.

I'm starting to think this may have something to do with environment
variables after all.  I looked at the code for the sftp-logging patch,
and it seems to default to logging being off if it can not read the
variables from the environment.  Is it possible the scponly shell is
somehow not handling these variables?  Is there a way to check?

My thoughts are not that it doesn't even know it is supposed to log
because it is not reading and passing the options properly.\

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I have attached the strace log files
for both sessions if anyone would like to examine them.

Mike Kriz
Systems Engineer
Infocision Management - Enterprise Systems