[scponly] scponly 4.2 released (IMPORTANT SECURITY FIXES)

user user at dhp.com
Thu Dec 22 12:06:41 EST 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Kaleb Pederson wrote:

> That seems like a far cry from sftponly?  Just a change to the default?  Don't
> most sysadmins look at the help before they install?
>
> > I believe in "secure by default" but this seems like it might be
> > taking it a little too far. Is disabling scp really the only way to
> > accomplish this?
>
> Isn't this like turning off all the services on a Linux box that you deliver
> to someone?  They have the option of turning on the "service" if they want.

No, I think it is more like the default installation of Linux being
FreeBSD, unless you specifically choose linux.

I have no problem with this change, and it doesn't bother me a bit that I
need to purposely turn on scp support in scponly.  I just think it is
rather odd that "scponly" now does not support scp by default.

I am happy that there is a new version.  I like the tool very much and
thank the author.