[scponly] Question about default user directories in chroot..

Eric Huebl ehuebl at back-east.com
Wed Dec 15 01:24:42 EST 2004

Due to the recent security flaws found in the RSSH Shell and the general
unavailability of a fix coming anytime soon I decided to try SCPOnly.

I'm running 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 on a Pentium 4.

Thanks to "emerge" I've been able to set up SCPOnly 4.0 with chroot.

Works great except for one nagging little issue... I can't seem to
control what directory the user defaults to under chroot.

Here's the scenario:

I have a chroot setup to go to /home/scponly

my user is  USER1 with his home dir set to the same.

He can log in no prob and of course gets the chroot "/" as his default..

I would like to figure out a way for him to log in and get a home
subdirectory something like "/home/USER1" which I guess would really be
"/home/scponly/home/USER1".

I tried setting USER1's home dir to the subdirectory in passwd (also
tried the chrooted passwd file as well). I was unable to establish a
connection after that.

In RSSH there was a difference between the chroot dir and the users home
dir. Is there any way to do this in SCPOnly?

I read something in this thread archives about a patch that fixes
something with directories - not sure if it pertains to my situation or not.

Cheers,

E.

--
Eric T. Huebl