[Pl-seminar] 30th January : François-René Rideau: Better Stories, Better Languages — Reframing from Programs to Programming

Aviral Goel goel.av at husky.neu.edu
Thu Jan 24 10:29:22 EST 2019

*Date:* Wednesday, January 30th
*Location:* WVH 366
*Time:* 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM
*Host:* Michael Ballantyne

*Better Stories, Better Languages — Reframing from Programs to Programming*
*François-René Rideau*

*Abstract*
Software tools imply a story. New stories can help invent new tools.
Explicit stories are a great meta-tool... and provide a systematic way to
improve the design of programming language design. To illustrate my point,
I will present a series of pairs of stories, each time approaching a same
topic with very different consequences. Many of my stories will be familiar
to most of you, some other stories less so. Hopefully they will be
enlightening as well as entertaining... and so will the meta-story be.
(Earlier versions of this talk were given at International Lisp Conference
2009, Lisp NYC 2014-10, and more recently LambdaConf 2017.)

*Bio*
François-René Rideau is Co-Founder and Chief Architect at Alacris.io, a
company developing a "Blockchain Layer 2 Operating System" using formal
methods. Once founder of the TUNES Project, he left academic research on
Programming Languages and Distributed Systems to build industrial software
at ITA Software, then Google and Bridgewater Associates, before he finally
became his own Entrepreneur. Long-standing member of the Lisp community, he
runs the Boston Lisp Meeting and still co-maintains ASDF (the Common Lisp
build system), though he recently jumped ship to Gerbil Scheme, and now
uses OCaml at work.

Best,
Aviral