[Pl-seminar] Talk announcement: Yannis Smaragdakis, Static Program Analysis: An Intelligent System over Programs

Pete Manolios pete at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:45:40 EDT 2018

Date: Monday November 5, 2018
Location: ISEC 142
Time: 10:30-Noon
If you want to meet with Yannis, let me know and I'll try to find a time.

Declarative Static Program Analysis: An Intelligent System over Programs

It's the dream of most every programmer: a smart system that "knows more
about my code than I do". How do we go about building it? I will argue for
the benefits of using logic-based declarative languages as a means to
specify static program analysis algorithms. Every aspect of complex program
behavior (from standard features, such as parameter passing, to reflection,
exceptions, and code generation) is captured by separate logical rules that
cooperate to produce a model of what the code does.

Concretely, the focus will be on the Doop framework for analysis of Java
programs, and especially on its latest developments and practical
applications. Doop encodes multiple analysis algorithms for Java
declaratively, using Datalog: a logic-based language for defining
(recursive) relations. With an aggressive optimization methodology, Doop
also achieves very high performance--often an order of magnitude faster
than comparable frameworks.

=====================
Yannis Smaragdakis (http://smaragd.org) is a Professor at the University of
Athens. Prior to that he had a 10+ year faculty career in the US, most
recently as an Associate Professor at the University of Massachusetts,
Amherst. His interests include program analysis and testing (especially
pointer analysis, static-dynamic analysis combinations, and invariant
inference); declarative and extensible languages (especially program
generators, generics/templates, and logic-based languages); and languages
and tools for systems (especially multi-threading, parallel and distributed
computing, and program locality). Large parts of his FC++ project have been
integrated into the Boost C++ libraries, and he continues to maintain
strong ties to industrial development and open-source projects. His latest
work includes the Doop framework for the analysis of Java bytecode, as well
as other related projects for program analysis algorithms expressed
declaratively, in the Datalog language. Smaragdakis has served on the
SIGPLAN Executive Committee and was the Program Chair of OOPSLA'16. He is a
recipient of an NSF Career award, ERC Consolidator and Proof-of-Concept
grants, and best/distinguished paper or artifact awards at OOPSLA'18,
ECOOP'18, OOPSLA'15, ISSTA'12, ASE'07, ISSTA'06, GPCE'04, USENIX'99.

--
Pete Manolios
Professor of Computer and Information Science