[Pl-seminar] 4/24 Seminar: Max New: Call-By-Name Gradual Type Theory

Daniel Patterson dbp at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 18 19:09:27 EDT 2018

NUPRL Seminar Presents

Max New
Northeastern University

11:45AM
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Call-By-Name Gradual Type Theory

Abstract

I will present Call-by-name (CBN) Gradual Type Theory [1], an
axiomatic semantics of CBN gradual typing that directly axiomatizes
the extensionality (eta) principles of types and the "gradual
guarantee" of [2]. By axiomatizing the "term precision" relation
of [2] we can provide a specification for casts as meets and joins
with respect to precision. Using our type theory, we then show that
the classic function contract ([3]) is in fact the unique
implementation of function casts that satisfies extensionality and the
gradual guarantee. This shows that the combination of these properties
is a very strong constraint on the design of a gradually typed
language and any implementation that departs must sacrifice one of
these properties (typically extensionality).

[1] Call-by-Name Gradual Type Theory, New and Licata, to appear FSCD '18,
https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.00061
[2] Refined Criteria for Gradual Typing, Siek, Vitousek, Cimini and
Boyland, SNAPL '15, http://drops.dagstuhl.de/opus/volltexte/2015/5031/
[3] Contracts for Higher-Order Functions, Findler and Felleisen, ICFP '02,
https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=581484

Bio

Max New is a PhD student at Northeastern University working on the
semantic foundations of programming languages. He hates proving the same
theorem twice and you should too.