[Pl-seminar] 12/5 Seminar: Fabian Muehlboeck: Efficient Nominal Gradual Typing

Benjamin Greenman types at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:40:58 EST 2017

NUPRL Seminar presents

Fabian Muehlboeck
Cornell University

1:30
Tuesday, December 5 2017
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Efficient Nominal Gradual Typing

Abstract:

Recent research has identified significant performance hurdles that sound
gradual typing needs to overcome. These performance hurdles stem from the
fact that the run-time checks gradual type systems insert into code can
cause significant overhead. We propose that designing a type system for a
gradually typed language hand in hand with its implementation from scratch
is a possible way around these and several other hurdles on the way to
efficient sound gradual typing. Such a design process also highlights the
type-system restrictions required for efficient composition with gradual
typing. We formalize the core of a nominal object-oriented language that
fulfills a variety of desirable properties for gradually typed languages,
and present evidence that an implementation of this language suffers
minimal overhead even in adversarial benchmarks identified in earlier work