[Pl-seminar] 12/15 Seminar: Max New, Retractions and Blame

Daniel Patterson dbp at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Dec 2 12:37:13 EST 2016

NUPRL Seminar presents

Max New
Northeastern University

12:00-1:30PM
Thursday, December 15th, 2016
Room 105 Behrakis (NOTE! THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN NORMAL. Behrakis is on Leon
St, towards Ruggles - https://goo.gl/maps/JpamrwgVBM42)

Retractions and Blame

Abstract:

It has long been noted that research on contracts and gradual typing bears
a striking resemblance to Dana Scott's work on retracts in domain theory.
However, a concrete relationship has been elusive, especially since the
notion of *blame* has seemingly no counterpart in domain theory.

We connect these fields by means of gradual type precision, which has been
characterized previously using blame in [1]. We propose a definition in
terms of section-retraction pairs, allowing us to relate blame and
retractions in a precise way. Our definition agrees with [1] on most rules,
but differs in a way that suggests a modification to their definition of
blame.

[1] Wadler and Findler, Well-typed Programs can't Be Blamed:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/topics/blame.html#blame-esop

Bio

Max New is a PhD student at Northeastern University working on the semantic
foundations of programming languages. He hates proving the same theorem
twice and you should too.