[Pl-seminar] 12/8 Seminar: Gabriel Scherer, Deciding program equivalence with sums and the empty type

Daniel Patterson dbp at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Nov 28 15:58:42 EST 2016

NUPRL Seminar presents

Gabriel Scherer
Northeastern University

12:00-1:30pm
Thursday, December 8th, 2016
Room 150 Forsyth Building (NOTE: THIS IS A DIFFERENT LOCATION. Forsyth
Building is on Forsyth st, halfway between Huntington and Ruggles -
https://goo.gl/maps/Wx8YfUmhQcx)

Deciding program equivalence with sums and the empty type

Abstract:

The simply-typed λ-calculus, with only function types, is strongly
normalizing, and its program equivalence relation is decidable: unlike in
more advanced type system with polymorphism or effects, the natural
"syntactic" equivalence (βη-equivalence) corresponds to natural "semantic"
equivalence (observational or contextual equivalence), and is decidable.
Adding product types (pairs) is easy and preserves these properties, but
sums (disjoint unions) are, surprisingly, harder. It is only in 1995 that
Neil Ghani proved that the equivalence in presence of sums is decidable,
and the situation in presence of the empty type (zero-ary sum) was unknown.

We propose an equivalence algorithm for sums and the empty type that takes
inspiration from a proof-theoretic technique, named "focusing",designed for
proof search. The exposition will be introductory; I will present the
difficulties caused by sums and the empty type, present some of the
existing approaches for sums in the literature, introduce focusing, and
give a high-level intuition of our saturation-based algorithm and its
termination argument. No previous knowledge of focusing is assumed. I
expect some familiarity with typed lambda-calculi, but will recall all
concepts used (for example, βη-equivalence) during the talk.

Bio

Gabriel is interested in theoretical aspects of type systems, programming
language implementation, general programming language concepts, and even
some syntactic aspects. He has a preference for the formalizable aspects,
or formalizable approaches to programming language aspects, rather than the
often subjective appeal to taste or intuition.