[Pl-seminar] 10/27 Seminar: Christopher Meiklejohn, Declarative, Convergent Edge Computation

Daniel Patterson dbp at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 13 18:22:01 EDT 2016

NUPRL Seminar presents

Christopher Meiklejohn
Université Catholique de Louvain

12:00pm-1:30pm
Thursday, Oct. 27 2016
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)
Host: Heather Miller

Declarative, Convergent Edge Computation

Abstract:

Consistency is hard and coordination is expensive. As we move into the
world of connected 'Internet of Things' style applications, or large-scale
mobile applications, devices have less power, periods of limited
connectivity, and operate over unreliable asynchronous networks. This poses
a problem with shared state: how do we handle concurrent operations over
shared state, while clients are offline, and ensure that values converge to
a desirable result without making the system unavailable?

We look at a new programming model, called Lasp. This programming model
combines distributed convergent data structures with a dataflow execution
model designed for distribution over large-scale applications. This model
supports arbitrary placement of processing node: this enables the user to
author applications that can be distributed across data centers and pushed
to the edge.

Bio:

Christopher Meiklejohn loves distributed systems and programming languages.
Previously, Christopher worked at Basho Technologies, Inc. on the
distributed key-value store, Riak. Christopher develops a programming model
for distributed computation, called Lasp. Christopher is currently a Ph.D.
student at the Université Catholique de Louvain in Belgium.