[Pl-seminar] Sukyoung to speak on Feb 19

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jan 7 15:44:01 EST 2016

Mark the date: Thursday, 19 Feb @ 11:45, WVH 366

Journey to Find Bugs in Real-World Web Applications in the Wild

Sukyoung Ryu, KAIST

Analyzing real-world web applications is a challenging task.
On top of understanding the semantics of JavaScript, it
requires modeling of web documents, platform objects, and
interactions between them. Most web applications load JavaScript
code dynamically, which makes pure static analysis approaches inapplicable.
In this talk, we present our journey to analyze JavaScript web applications
in the wild using various approaches. From pure JavaScript programs to
JavaScript web applications using platform-specific libraries, we
explain technical challenges in analyzing each of them and how we built
an open-source analysis framework for JavaScript, SAFE, that addresses
the challenges incrementally.  Finally, we discuss our ongoing work
on analysis of Android hybrid applications.