[Pl-seminar] 10/16: Phil Nguyen, "Contract Checking by Evaluation"

Vincent St-Amour stamourv at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Oct 11 12:18:04 EDT 2013

NUPRL Seminar presents

Phil Nguyen
NUPRL

11:45 - 1:30
Wednesday, 10/16
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Contract Checking by Evaluation

Behavioral software contracts are a widely used mechanism for governing
the flow of values between components. However, run-time monitoring and
enforcement of contracts imposes significant and unpredictable overhead
and delays the discovery of faulty components to run-time.

In this talk, I will first do a brief survey of recent approaches to
verifying contracts for functional languages and discuss their
applicability. Next, I will present a lightweight semantic approach to
verifying contracts allowing for a broader set of language features and
programming idioms. Finally, I will discuss other uses of the newly
derived analysis besides contract checking.