[Pl-seminar] 5/21: Jacob Thamsborg, "A Concurrent Logical Relation"

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Sat May 19 22:39:27 EDT 2012

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Jacob Thamsborg
ITU Copenhagen

Monday 5/21
2:00pm-3:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

A Concurrent Logical Relation

I'll present recent work on a logical relation for showing the
correctness of program transformations based on a new type-and-effect
system for a concurrent extension of an ML-like language with
higher-order functions, higher-order store and dynamic memory
allocation.

I'll show how to use the model to verify a number of interesting
program transformations that rely on effect annotations. In
particular, I explain a Parallelization Theorem, which expresses when
it is sound to run two expressions in parallel instead of
sequentially. The conditions are expressed solely in terms of the
types and effects of the expressions. To the best of our knowledge,
this is the first such result for a concurrent higher-order language
with higher-order store and dynamic memory allocation.